2009 – 2010 This project focused on establishing a cross border Association of Public Health and Social Medicine with colleagues in Kent and Medway and the Somme in France. The cross border Association shared and compared ways of addressing health threats/ challenges, perceptions, community practices and responses to specific health issues – especially in the prevention of long term illnesses and in areas of social exclusion – in children and adults and will also enhance the professional development of participants.
To establish a cross border Association of Public Health and Social Medicine:
- To improve our mutual understanding of approaches to health, healthcare and the prevention of ill health in the cross border region.
- To exchange ideas and experiences with a focus on health inequalities and social exclusion
- Develop terms of reference for the Association
- Map areas of common practice
- Identify areas of good practice
- Explore innovations in practice using common public health data
- Develop shared practice in enhancing the public health roles of clinical and other professionals, for example, pharmacists
- Explore and compare policies.