The World Health Organization (WHO) has updated its fact sheet on falls. Key facts include:
- Falls are the second leading cause of accidental or unintentional injury deaths worldwide.
- Each year an estimated 646 000 individuals die from falls globally of which over 80% are in low- and middle-income countries.
- Adults older than 65 years of age suffer the greatest number of fatal falls.
- 37.3 million falls that are severe enough to require medical attention occur each year.
- Prevention strategies should emphasize education, training, creating safer environments, prioritizing fall-related research and establishing effective policies to reduce risk.
To read more on the WHO website: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs344/en/